Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jesse White Kissed Me

I’m going to Arts Advocacy Day in D.C. next week and that got me thinking. We have been doing a lot more work around advocacy lately and I have actually really enjoyed it. In fact, last week I got to go, thanks to the Arts Alliance, to Lt. Governor Sheila Simon’s birthday party over at the Thompson Center. The Governor was there and Jesse White (he kissed me) was there and Alderman Burnett and guess what, they talked about how important theatre was, that’s right, they did, just in conversation, there were no speeches or anything and admittedly they know who I represent, but I have to tell you it was very gratifying.

And here’s what I was thinking about…I know you depend on us to do advocacy work and naturally we will continue to do it, but I’m wondering if any of you have become more involved in advocacy and particularly in political advocacy and if you have enjoyed it. Can you let me know – comment, email or call.

I have to tell you, I never thought I would like it, not one bit. I am as politically involved as the next guy I guess, I vote and I care a lot about some issues and not at all about others. But, to do the work and keep talking about something I am passionate about and to try to share that passion without looking like a loon or a crackpot, it’s been challenging but rewarding.

Deb

No comments: