City Lit Theater Company seeks submissions to The Art of Adaptation, its annual festival of stage adaptations of non-dramatic literature.
The festival will take place May 29th, 30th and 31st at City Lit Theater, 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue. We anticipate it will consist of 6 to 10 adaptations presented in various combinations over the course of the weekend. A panel of judges will view all performances and award a
$500 cash prize to the adaptor of the piece judged the best of the festival.
1. All pieces must be 20 minutes or less. If your piece exceeds the time limit, it will not be eligible for the prize.
2. It must be an adaptation of non-dramatic material—a short story, an essay, a memoir, poetry, an excerpt from a novel, a video game, what have you; but not material from a play.
3. All pieces must be world premiere adaptations.
4. Each adaptor is responsible for whatever royalties might be due on your piece, as well as for your own rehearsal process. City Lit will not provide rehearsal space prior to tech rehearsal, nor will it provide services of a director or any actors for any piece.
5. The piece you submit must be the piece you perform - no drastic changes can be made to the script after it is accepted.
6. All pieces will be performed on the same simple unit set with the same simple light plot. A stock of furniture will be provided. If your piece requires furniture beyond the provided stock, it is your responsibility.
7. All adaptors must provide a $20 deposit for the set pieces and costumes used, to be returned in full when all items are properly returned to City Lit's costume/furniture stock.
8. City Lit will provide performance space, backstage and front-of-house crew, publicity, programs, tickets and the $500 cash prize.
To submit a proposal for entry into the festival, send a .pdf copy of your adaptation script to Katy Nielsen at AofA@citylit.org
Proposals must be submitted no later than April 6th.