Friday, May 13, 2011

The End of an Era

This will be my last blog post of the Richard M. Daley administration. I've said it here before and I'll say it again. I love the guy. I like his style and I like how he loves Chicago. He has been mayor for as long as I've lived in Chicago, he's been mayor for as long as some of you reading this have been alive.

It's not sad, I'm glad to see him go before he's dead. I'm glad he'll see more of his grandchildren and be able to spend more time with Maggie. I hate it when people die in office - the guy hasn't had a day off in 22 years so he deserves some down time. It sounds like I know him right? Like I'm a personal friend or something? I'm not but I guess I feel like he was watching out for me. He worked hard for the arts and for that I'm very appreciative - I love this city and I think he has a lot to do with creating and nurturing what's great about it.

It's also not sad because I'm glad to see Rahm take over. He'll do a fine job and our city will flourish. Still, it's the end of an era and I feel compelled to take note. I'm a sap like that, I kind of want to go and hang out around city hall tomorrow, you know, watch him leave for the last time. Sappy.

Deb

No comments: