Thursday, November 18, 2010

Where do they get this stuff?

So, Travel and Leisure (deliberately not linked), has named Chicago the number 3 destination for theatre among tourists (number four among residents, but I have no clue what that means). Behind New York, OK, I don’t agree but, behind that mecca of theatre, Providence, Rhode Island. Really?? Providence, Rhode Island?? If it wasn’t so ridiculous I’d be mad. I’m sure they make some mighty fine theatre there, but I’ve only ever even heard of one theatre in Providence. I’ve been working in this business a long time and I don’t know one single person working in theatre in Providence, like I do in New York, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Miami, Sarasota, Florida, New Haven, Connecticut for crying out loud. I guess it’s just a lesson for us to not take this stuff too seriously because we have no idea how it is decided and who gets to vote or whatever. But arrrghh.

Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb. I'm sure the even most cursory research of Providence would have pointed to Trinity Repertory Company, Rhode Island's major resident theatre. Trinity's leadership team of artistic director Curt Columbus and executive director Michael Gennaro were Steppenwolf mainstays (associate artistic director and executive director, respectively) throughout the late 90s and the first half of this decade. Lookingglass' current production of 'Peter Pan' is even helmed by former Trinity artistic director Amanda Dehnert. Providence doesn't have the vibrancy and breadth of our theatre scene, it's true, but if you indignantly claim you've never met anyone who worked there, you're not even trying.