Thursday, October 7, 2010

Less than Six Degrees

I happened to be in Flagstaff, Arizona last week. I need coffee something fierce in the morning and I was sitting on a bench at about 6:00 a.m .one morning and a guy walked up to me and asked if it was the best coffee in town (it wasn’t) and we struck up a conversation and turns out his son is an improv guy in Chicago. I don’t know him but I’d heard his name before. Flagstaff feels very far away from here but in that moment I could have been sitting on a bench on Broadway in my neighborhood, oh you work in theatre? My son works over at IO.

That interaction brought home not only how large a community we are and how our influence can be felt all over the country but how incredible it is to be a part of it. I just about bust with pride whenever I tell anyone what I do. Try it yourself, meet a stranger (not someone you expect to be a theatre person), tell them what you do, it will be less than six degrees that separates you from the person or thing she knows about Chicago theatre and it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Deb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock Deb.