Thursday, November 5, 2009

Who Are We?

We’ve been having a lot of conversations lately related to being able to better articulate who we are as a community. Being able to do that has all kinds of implications. I tend to think that there is no value in trying to brand Chicago theatre, our strength is in our diversity. One of the things that attracted me to this job was the fact that Corn Productions and Aguijon and Broadway In Chicago and Light Opera Works all stand together. It is unique and it kind of defies description. But maybe I’m wrong, maybe that’s it “Chicago Theatre, defying description since 1872.”

If we were to make a short video that attempted to say who we are…say 7 minutes, what would it look like? A mighty tall order and I would say I don’t even want to try, except I think it’s necessary. When I talk about it now, I say “Chicago is the best place in the world to make and to see theatre,” I believe that’s true, but it doesn’t say who we are, how we got here and where we are going.

I think we all know it and feel it, what it is, but can we say it in a line, a sentence, a paragraph?

Deb

No comments: