Thursday, May 7, 2009

Peak Experiences

Yesterday morning I was lucky enough to be able to hear Chip Conley speak. He wrote a book called PEAK: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow, and is the founder and CEO of Joie de Vivre Hospitality. He’s not a guy I would choose to go see on my own but the invite came from the Arts Engagement Exchange so I went.

He had a lot of really interesting ideas – I thought one of his best comments was when he was asked what we could do in this economy to try to be better, he said create small wins. By doing that, energy is redirected toward those wins and away from the crisis at hand. I thought that was really smart.

Chip runs hotels…way different from a theatre…but he said that he provides a transformative experience. He talked about tools for measuring a customer’s experience – cleanliness, timeliness, etc. He said that metric measures the bottom of the pyramid. In other words, those are measures of things the customer should expect, and in order to create a transformative experience you have to go way above that on the pyramid (which is too much to explain here) to the Peak…

Good stuff.

Deb

No comments: