Thursday, October 23, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to the blog for members of the League of Chicago Theatres!

I hope it will be fun and informative. If there is something you’d like me to talk about please let me know. I will be writing about League goings-on, Chicago theater goings-on and all kinds of goings-on. Basically it will be a blog about goings-on.

I’d like to hear from you about an idea that has been mentioned to me a few times by members. It has been suggested that the League hold a workshop for board members of small to mid-sized theatres so that the board members might come together and talk about the challenges that they face, best practices, etc. Being a board member of a small theatre company presents a set of unique challenges and I think board members would benefit from knowing that those challenges are shared by other theatres. In sharing experiences and best practices, they will become stronger board members. Maybe in working together they may also come up with ideas and solutions they hadn’t thought of before.

Free Night of Theater has been an interesting experience/experiment for all of us. Most theaters are reporting that indeed, they are seeing new faces in their theatres. YAY!! That’s what it’s about. Some theatres have had a very high no show rate, however, it seems that the later it gets in the month, the fewer the no-shows. No idea why that is. My own un-scientific opinion is that the initial rush for tickets led people to sign up for whatever was available and then not necessarily follow through with the commitment and that these late month people are folks actually interested in seeing a show, not in getting something for free. Maybe? People seem to be having great fun connecting with their free night patrons at a reception and here are some photos from Chicago Dramatist’s “Beer and BBQ” night.

I had the chance this week to see three shows and they just happen to be indicative of the depth and breadth of our community. Chicago Children’s Theatre’s IF ALL THE WORLD WERE PAPER is an absolutely charming piece for 3-6 year olds. If you can find a kid to take you…I found the jokes hilarious, which maybe says something about me. DIRTY DANCING…well, it maybe says something about me (that I am exactly their target audience) that I loved it. And, the wonderful Court Theatre production of CAROLINE, OR CHANGE, starring two of Chicago’s treasures, E. Faye Butler and Jacqueline Williams – they bring down the house and it is a wonderful play.

Finally, on Monday, October 27 we are having an Executive/Managing Director Roundtable at American Theater Company, 1909 W Byron at 5:30 p.m. RSVP to ben@chicagoplays.com. I hope to see you there.

Call me, email, leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you.

Deb Clapp
Executive Director
League of Chicago Theatres

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This might well turn into the heart of the mightiest and most varyed theater community anywhere. May we celebrate our differences and demonstrate to each other how many different and valid ways theater can be brought to people. We at Prop Thtr have always known that in Chicago any good theater experience for an audience is good for all of us, may we increase the promotion of our lively art!