Thursday, December 8, 2011

For Real

So I don’t usually talk about shows I’ve seen but this week I saw Donny and Marie and Elizabeth Rex and hmmm-hmmm, that’s right…I’m a lucky, lucky person. How many people do you think saw both? I think not so many. I loved them both and it struck me once again how fortunate we are that we have such an amazing variety and depth of theatre in this town. Do you know how many places in this country there are where you maybe would have one or the other on any given night, but both? No. Or places where there isn’t anything.

Wait, what? You went to Donny and Marie, and you liked it? Yup. They happen to be great old-school entertainers and they put on a great show. Sometimes I might not like a show, but the audience loves it and that makes me happy. This show I genuinely loved because Donny and Marie are for real. They understand who they are and how they got famous and why people come out to see them and they own it and respect it and you do too.

And you know what, that’s what makes theatre in this town so great. We got it all and we own it all and we respect it all. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to make a decision about what show to see. Tonight alone you could see: a magic show, the virgin queen, Ibsen, Blue Men, a country western parody, a crazy ass light opera, Tracy Letts in his underpants, cabaret, improv and on and on… and you can have your holiday show any way you want it – mean old Scrooge, radio plays, Nativity, Reindeers in drag and much much more. Oh holy night indeed.

Deb

2 comments:

Lynn Baber said...

You write a great blog, Deb. Thanks.

Heather said...

Love this, Deb. We're oh so lucky to be part of this Chicago theatre community, indeed.