City Lit Theater Company seeks submissions to The Art of Adaptation, its 3rd annual festival of stage adaptations of non-dramatic literature.
The festival will take place August 13-15, 2010 at City Lit Theater; 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue. The festival will consist of 6 to 10 adaptations presented in various combinations over the course of the weekend. A panel of judges will view all performances and award a $500 cash prize to the adaptor of the piece judged the best of the festival.
1. Each piece will have to conform to a maximum of 30 minutes. Pieces anywhere between 5 – 20 minutes are ideal.
2. It must be an adaptation of non-dramatic material—a short story, an essay, a memoir, poetry, an excerpt from a novel, what have you; but not material from a play.
3. Each adaptor is responsible for whatever royalties might be due on his/her piece, as well as for his/her own rehearsal process. City Lit will not provide rehearsal space prior to tech rehearsal, nor will it provide services of a director or any actors for any piece.
4. All pieces will be performed on the same simple unit set with the same simple light plot (including one special per piece). A stock of furniture will be provided. If your piece requires furniture beyond the provided stock, it is your responsibility.
5. City Lit will provide performance space, backstage and front-of-house crew, publicity, programs, tickets and the $500 cash prize.
To submit a proposal for entry into the festival, send your adaptation script to Katy Nielsen at City Lit Theatre, 1020 West Bryn Mawr Avenue, Chicago IL 60660. Proposals must be postmarked no later than June 15th.