Everybody hates them. I know it, you know it and Ticketmaster knows it. But here’s the deal, they are the only company that can handle Hot Tix and here’s why:
1) Ticketmaster is the ONLY ticketing company that can handle a big on sale, i.e. on-line, phone and walk-up for a particular event, say Joffrey’s Nutcracker or The Addams Family. That is thousands of people all buying at the same time for the same event via three different sales methods. That is why lots of theatres use them, including some of our smaller venues.
2) It is my understanding, although I am certainly not privy to the contracts people make with Ticketmaster, that Ticketmaster does not allow sales through other ticketing systems. i.e. a Ticketmaster house cannot sell their tickets through other on-line ticket brokers. I don’t see their tickets for sale on other on-line brokers, so I have to assume that is true.
3) We sold over 60% of our Hot Tix last year to Ticketmaster houses. Hot Tix cannot sustain itself without those theatres.
4) Ticketmaster has consistently worked with me over the past year to keep our fees low, and they have sent out e-blasts to their lists promoting Hot Tix.
5) It has come to my attention that some of our fees might be out of whack and I will work to fix that.